News > Australian Armenians > Alfred Markarian continues to publish his Armenian Happenings e-newsletter
In 2012 Alfred Markarian is promising to be as active as in the past years in publishing his well-known "Armenian Happenings" electronic bulletin that goes to 7000 selected emails in Australia and another 2000 worldwide.
The latest issued (January – edition 167) begins with Markarian's words: "The New Year has dawned. It is now 2012 and we have another 365 days of opportunities ahead of us. I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to Armenian Happenings, past and present."
Some of the topics covered in the January 2012 edition:
- The Battle of Bethlehem: 100 rival priests clash at church built to mark birth of Jesus. Palestinian riot police are forced to defend themselves from broom-wielding holy men at the traditionally accepted birthplace of Jesus Christ, in the West Bank town of Bethlehem (from "Daily Mail").
- KOHAR ensemble with the stars of Armenia. Live in Concert on 28 May 2011, Yerevan (Youtube link).
- Announcement about upcoming documentary film screening in Sydney organized by Hamazkaine Shant Chapter. "CHARENTS: In Search of My Armenian Poet". Director: Shareen Anderson.
- An article about how Armenians celebrate Christmas in India (from the "Times of India").
New South Wales State Labor MP Walt Secord visits Karabakh
- New South Wales State Labor MP Walt Secord becomes first Australian MP to visit Republic of Nagorno Karabakh. A report by the Armenian National Committee of Australia (ANCA).
- Australian MP says Armenia landlocked as a result of Genocide: Member for Smithfield in the NSW Legislative Assembly, Andrew Rohan, declared in a parliamentary statement that as a result of the Armenian Genocide perpetrated by the Ottoman Turkish government, the modern state of Armenia remains landlocked. ANCA report.
- ANC Australia raises over $70,000 for advocacy: The Armenian National Committee of Australia (ANC Australia) held its Annual Banquet at the Willoughby Concourse Reception Centre on November 25, naming Federal MP Paul Fletcher as the community's Friend of the Year and earning a ringing endorsement from ANC World Council Chairman, Hagop Der Khatchadourian. The fundraiser, which attracted a stellar cast of Australian politicians and prominent Armenian-Australians, was the premier event of ANC Australia Advocacy Week and raised in excess of $70,000 for 2012 activities. ANCA report.
- Genocide Education website launched at ANC Australia Banquet: The Armenian Genocide Education website (click here to see website), designed to assist Australian history studies teachers and their students to respectively teach and learn about the Armenian Genocide, was launched at the ANC Australia Annual Banquet on 25 November 2011. The website: http://www.armeniangenocide.com.au/. ANCA report.
- Civilnet's Greg Bilazarian discusses Australia's response to Armenian Genocide recognition with Varant Meguerditchian, Australia Executive Director of the ANC, following recent momentum in the Australian House of Representatives (Youtube link).
If you do not receive Armenian Happenings just send a blank email to email@example.com with “Subscribe” in the subject box.