Middle East Armenian Portal
Home News   Forums   Articles Directory Links Downloads Photos Services Events Calendar About us  
Forums > UAE Armenians: Media issues

UAE Armenians: Media issues
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2007
There was once an Armenian periodical issued jointly by the Council of the Armenians in the Northern Emirates and the Council of the Abu Dhabi Armenians (1999-2002), called SHEPOR (the name of a musical instrument in Armenian).

"Shepor" managed to host the contributions of those who possessed the talent of writing. It enjoyed also a large informative role.

Why do you think "Shepor" did not survive? Do you think it should be reprinted? Is the hard copy enough, or should "Shepor" (or any other name adopted for this publication) circulate also in electronic version? Do you believe we have the manpower and knowledge to create a new, modern and attractive media?

See other topics at: Azad-Hye Forums

Post your opinion here. We will send your posting to all the members of Azad-Hye and invite them to place their comments in return.

Comment 10

Dear Nishan,

Thank you for volunteering for the fund raising campaign.

I am sure the overall outcome will benefit not only this community but also the rest of the Middle East Armenians and can even serve as a good example for Armenians worldwide.

We can achieve the goal of increasing the presence of the Armenian language in Azad-Hye though the involvement of capable people inside and outside the community, basically by utilizing a rewarding system.

wherever financial compensation is needed, we should consider not avoiding it.

Volunteer work has its limits and it can be the flavor of all the work undertaken by us, but we need to use finance to achieve quantitative and qualitative results in disciplined and timely manner.

By doing so we can inspire the creation of a group of young and middle aged people in our society and elsewhere (especially in the Middle East), who would have vital interest in continuing Azad-Hye and in improving their own capabilities through this channel. Everyone, I and you and others, need space for creative expression. We need to put the subjects that concern our community and the nation on the table and to start healthy rounds of discussions and analysis. We need to have a virtual presence.

Another aspect of this work is the involvement of people from different Middle Eastern and abroad communities for the same goal. This is a sort of bridge and unique experience, which can have a contagious effect on other groups. Let aside that we will be able to position our community on the Pan-Armenian map and provide a bright example for our youth for further community involvement and commitment.

We can even go a step ahead and create a modest center for community media and journalism training, in Armenian and other languages, something that will surely support our efforts in introducing ourselves to the foreigners in a plausible and systematic way.

On the inner front, this would revive the Shepor experience and would re-assemble a group of writers for a common goal related to the propagation of community and wider Armenian issues.

This could be the place where our youth can feel at school after graduation from the Armenian weekly school.

Just to make it clear, this project contradicts in no means any existing or future efforts of the Council of the Community to revive or push forward the media committee or any other electronic or non-electronic form of media. On the contrary this could create the impetus to start a new phase of multi-level and diverse media work in our society. 

After this lengthy introduction I am glad to provide you (or the concerned readers upon request) the proposed project for enriching Azad-Hye (and especially the use of the Armenian language) during the year 2008. A copy of the project would be sent to you shortly. 

Posted by: Hrach Kalsahakian / Azad-Hye   on Friday, December 07, 2007

Comment 9

Posted by Nihan Basmajian on Tuesday, December 04, 2007, in the comments section of the following article: Each and every year should be considered 'The year of the Armenian language'

Dear Azad-Hye,

More than 50 people have read my article published in Azad Hye. It would have been great pleasure if I get some comments about the article.

Actually you were the first who commented: I quote:  "Azad-Hye has the expertise and linguistic know-how to produce pages in Armenian language, but lacks the financial means to do so. Hope someone will read this and contact us." (see the last note at the end of my article).

I’ll be the second to comment. I totally agree with you. You are doing the job of an institution. I am sure you are spending from dire financial resources to maintain this very important site, not counting the long hours spent for its survival and its development.

You hoped someone would contact you after reading your comment. Did anyone contact you? I am curious to know. If no one did, let me be the first person to do so. Hence, I request you to let your readers know the annual budget forecasted for this activity (income, if any, versus expenses). May be with a joint effort your valuable readers can raise some funds for this purpose. I volunteer for the fund raising campaign.

Starting Azad-Hye in Armenian could be the best New Year gift to your readers and, probably, the last appreciation of 2007 to His Holiness Aram 1st for his excellent initiative of declaring 2007 as year of the Armenian language.

Let’s act !

Nishan Basmajian
4 December 2007

Posted by: Nishan Basmajian   on Friday, December 07, 2007

Comment 8

Dear Hratch,

Thanks for the information provided. However, I would like to know whether the 11,421 unique IP addresses are:

- The sum of daily unique IP addresses logged in April or

- The sum of unique IP addresses logged for the whole month of April?

I would appreciate if you could let us know.

Kind regards,

Ara Pierre Keusseyan

Posted by: Ara Pierre Keusseyan   on Sunday, May 13, 2007

Comment 7

Dear Mr. Keusseyan,

Azad-Hye statistics show that the number of visitors is +/- 380.000 per year (an average of about 30.000 visits per month).

Regarding your enquiry about the IP addresses, I am pleased to inform you the following details related to month April 2007:

Number of unique IP addresses used: 11.421
Page views: 63.844
Visits: 29.754
Hits: 271.443
Bandwith (KB): 7.971.516

The list of all the above mentioned IP addresses is avaialbe in a PDF format file (4 MB).

Regards,

Hrach Kalsahakian
Azad-Hye.com
Sharjah

Posted by: Moderator   on Friday, May 11, 2007

Comment 6

Dear Mr. Chepadian,

By the way, I do not have your fitsr name yet!

The readership is +/- 380.000 hits or reads per year, OK!

That's an average of 31.667 hits or reads per month, OK!

But how many unique IP adresses does these numbers represent? That is the question I would like answered...

Thanks and regards,

Ara Pierre Keusseyan

Posted by: Ara Pierre Keusseyan   on Thursday, May 10, 2007

Comment 5

Dear Mr. Keusseyan,

You mentioned:

Interested readers (70 postings in a year on a website like Azad-Hye makes you ask questions)

According to Azad-Hye's data, the readership is +- 380.000 hits/readers per year... that's average 31.667 per month!! No question about that! 

But the postings/comments are low, you're right.

You mentioned:

- People who can and who will do it; you also need them to ensure the continuity of the same.

Financial rewards might help to motivate, eventually to demand and yet to force them to continue professionally.

And it should compete with other existing e-publications or websites such as Azad-Hye and other! 

Competition is healthy.

and Mr. Nishan, We the members of the community should demand!

and We are!

Tse

Posted by: Chepadian   on Thursday, May 10, 2007

Comment 4

Dear Nishan,

Dear fellow Armenians,

I think there is more to say on top of what was said above.

I can comment from an informed point of view because; with the help of people in my employ, Mrs. Eliza Bedrossian (the Church’s secretary at the time) and a couple of other talents; I have prepared the last 2 Shepors myself.  One has been published and the other has not; as the news were already stale by the time the publication was ready to go to press (for lack of helping hands who master the Armenian language).

If my recollection is correct, the old Shepor which Mr. Basmadjian is referring to, was suffering from the same sickness Azad-Hye is… A lack of sustained interest (70 postings a year), a lot of distributed copies ending in the Church’s forecourt dustbin or just outside for the more polite recipients of the publication.

On two rounds, I have tried to recruit talent but for some reason the call of my shepor (Armenian musical instrument) fell on deaf ears. However, in spite of having a very limited team, I have tried to revive it by making an easier to read, pictorial, bilingual and well presented publication; with coloured glazed paper and filing rings to encourage people to keep it. For good measure, I have also made it a financially self sustained proposition as the ads in it (my company ads by the way) were covering the printing costs.

The reasons this was done:

-          To revive interest in the publication

-          To capture a larger audience with the bilingual characteristic

-          To capture the interest of would be editorial contributors

-          To encourage sponsors to come forward

How I wish that the encouragement received was half of the “pampasank” that echoed back to me. Shepor would have been elsewhere today.

Nishan, I beg to differ with you.

Wishful thinking and liquid courage will not cut through the chase. To function properly, a trilingual electronic information tool needs DEPENDABLE PEOPLE, therefore professionals. You need to raise the money and you need pay people to do the job. However, if the proposition cannot be economically self sustaining, then it is either a bad one or it has not enough supporters.

Kind regards,

Ara Pierre Keusseyan

Posted by: Ara Pierre Keusseyan   on Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Comment 3

Posted: Friday, May 04, 2007
There was once an Armenian periodical issued jointly by the Council of the Armenians in the Northern Emirates and the Council of the Abu Dhabi Armenians (1999-2002), called SHEPOR (the name of a musical instrument in Armenian).

"Shepor" managed to host the contributions of those who possessed the talent of writing. It enjoyed also a large informative role.

Why do you think "Shepor" did not survive? Who should be blamed for this?

TO GIVE MY OPINION ABOUT SOME INTERESTING MATTERS EXPRESSED THROUGH YOUR QUESTIONS:

1. WE ALL ARE TO BE BLAMED BECAUSE WHEN AZKAYIN VARCHOUTYOUN STOPPED THE PUBLISHING WE DID NOT  DEMAND, ASK FOR, SHOUT OR YELL OR BEG... TO BRING IT BACK TO LIFE. DID ANY OF US VOLUNTEER FOR THAT? NO, NON OF US VOLUNTEERED TO CONTINUE THE WORK STARTED. WE SAT DOWN AND CRITICISED. CRITICIZING IS HEALTHY WHEN  DONE PUBLICLY. IN A CLOSED CIRCLE, CRITICIZING STOPS BEING HEALTHY, IT IS  GOSSIPPING , PAMPASANK... A KILLER... (EXCUSE ME IF I SOUND A BIT RUDE). ANYWAY, IT IS NEVER TOO LATE, AZKAYIN VARCHOUTYOUN AND INTERESTED TALENTS CAN JOIN HANDS AND PUBLISH SHEPOR AGAIN.

Do you think it should be reprinted? Is the hard copy enough, or should "Shepor" have an electronic version as well?

THE ELECTRONIC VERSION IS PREFERABLE, IT SHOULD BE BI OR TRI LINGUAL, ARMENIAN IS A MUST. IT SHOULD HAVE A PROPER MANAGEMENT, SHOULD TACKLE DIFFERENT SUBJECTS, AZKAYIN VARCHOUTYOUN SHOULD HAVE EDITORIAL RIGHTS BUT SHOULD HELP THINGS HAPPEN, NOT ACT AS POLICE. 

Do you believe we have the manpower and knowledge to create a new, modern and attractive "Shepor" (or any media project with another name)?

YES WE DO HAVE THE MANPOWER. I RECENTLY PROVIDED A LONG LIST OF RESIDENT ARMENIANS TO HRACH KALSAHAKIAN WHO CAN BE FOUNDING MEMBERS OF A "KRAGAN KHMPAG". BUT A LIST OF NAMES IS NOT ENOUGH TO ACHIEVE GOALS, WE NEED THE WILL WHICH WE LACK. IF WE HAVE IT, THEN NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE. ARA KEUSSEYAN IS RIGHT, HE PREFERS PROFESSIONALISM ON AMATEURISM. WHO DOESN'T? BUT THAT MEANS TO GENERATE FUNDS, MEANS SETTING OBJECTIVES, BUDGETS , MEANS, GETTING APPROVALS BY TEMAGAN JOGHOV, SEARCH TO EMPLOY PROFESSIONALS WHO CAN DO THE JOB ETC. ETC. DO WE HAVE THE GUTS TO SET OBJECTIVES? ARE WE WILLING TO PUT AN ACTION PLAN? DO WE HAVE THE WILL TO SPEND MONEY? ONCE DECISIONS BEING TAKEN, ARE WE READY TO TAKE PROMPT ACTION? (MIND YOU, IT IS OUR BAD HABIT TO DRAG THINGS AND NOT TAKE PROMPT ACTIONS EVEN AFTER WE OVERCOME THE BIGGEST OF ALL THE DIFFICULTIES... THE FINANCIAL ONES...)

IT SEEMS WE HAVE QUESTIONS WHICH NEED ANSWERS. WE HAVE OPINIONS WHICH SHOULD BE DISCUSSED FURTHER. IT IS HIGH TIME FOR AZKAYIN VARCHOUTYOUN TO ORGANIZE A FORUM IN KEUSSEYAN COMMUNITY HALL TO DISCUSS THESE ISSUES. IT WILL BE A MEMORABLE AND A NOBLE EVENT ORGANIZED BY THE TOP RESPONSIBLE MANAGEMENT OF THE ARMENIAN CHURCH IN THE NORTHERN EMIRATES.

I AM SO GLAD FOR THE INTEREST SHOWN BY A BUNCH OF ARMENIANS TO BRING SHEPOR BACK ON ITS FEET.

IF YOU JOIN YOUR VOICES TO REQUEST AZK VARCHOUTYOUN TO ORGANIZE A FORUM SOON THEN YOU HAVE TO THINK ABOUT A SIMPLE (MAY BE STUPID) QUESTION WHICH I LEAVE YOU WITH:

WHY DO WE NEED SHEPOR?

IT WOULD BE REWARDING TO READ SOME SERIOUS ANSWERS / COMMENTS.

THANKS
NISHAN BASMAJIAN

Posted by: Nishan Basmajian   on Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Pages : [1] 2

Leave a comment
Name (required)
Email (will not be published) (required)
Website
Security Code Image   (Enter the code)

Bookmark and Share

Announcements
Azad-Hye Diary
UAE Armenians

Home · News · Forums · Articles · Directory · Links · Downloads · Photos · Services · Diary · Events Calendar · About Us

Copyright © Azad-Hye, 2003-2009. All Rights Reserved.